South Australia Police
Search Go
Internet - internet_text_only
Site Map Site Help
FAQ A-Z Directory
Signature Service

Reporting a Crash

If you are involved in a vehicle collision you must:


Stop at the scene of the collision. Failing to stop at the scene is against the law.


Assist anyone who is injured. Call Triple Zero in an emergency - where there is danger or serious injury. Or telephone 131 444 if police assistance is required (if the road is blocked, there is a traffic hazard etc.).

Exchange your information

Exchange your information with the other drivers (or that driver's representative) or other persons involved in the collision, including the owner of any property damaged at the scene.

The information you provide should include:

  • The driver's name and address;
  • The name and address of the owner of the driver's vehicle;
  • The vehicle's registration number; and
  • Any other information necessary to identify the vehicle, and, any other information required by a police officer about the crash.

Report the collision to police

Reportable Collisions

The types of collisions which must be reported to police by law are defined on the right of this page.

If police did not attend at the scene of a reportable collision, you must report the crash to police by attending at a police station.

If someone was injured or killed in the collision, you must present to a police officer within 90 minutes of the collision.

For all other reportable collisions you must report to a police officer as soon as possible but, except in exceptional circumstances, within twenty four hours after the collision. This does not mean that a driver has twenty-four hours to report a collision because even three hours after the collision, in many cases, could be considered as soon as possible, depending on the circumstances. An example of exceptional circumstances would include a driver who is conveyed to hospital and is admitted for treatment for more than 24 hours.

Be prepared to provide:

  • your personal details (remember to take your driver's licence with you);
  • your car registration;
  • the exact collision location;
  • date and time of collision;
  • the other parties personal details; and
  • the other parties car registration.

You will be given a Vehicle Collision Report (VCR) number for future reference.

What collisions do not need to be reported? Report a crash

You are not required by law to report a non-reportable collision. However, if you wish to report a non-reportable collision, for insurance or other purposes, you may do so conveniently by completing an online form without attending at a police station. Once submitted, the online report will provide you with a reference number and a PDF copy of the report which you may send to your insurance company.

Collisions may be reported online if:

  • the collision occurred in South Australia; and
  • no one was injured/killed; and
  • everyone involved exchanged particulars; and
  • it was not a hit run; and
  • no government vehicles were involved; and
  • no vehicles were towed; and
  • a fair estimate of the total damage is less than $3 000; and
  • police did not attend; and
  • you do not want police to investigate the collision*.

*If you desire a police investigation of the collision because of apparent breaches of road rules you must be willing to assist in the investigation including providing a statement and attending court.

To report a collision online, click here.

Return To Top


Think First logo


crash scene re-enactment

What collisions need to be reported?

A collision is required to be reported to a police officer by a driver involved in a collision if real or personal property (other than an animal) is destroyed or damaged,

except where:

(a) the only property destroyed or damaged is property owned by the driver; or

(b) a fair estimate of the cost of making good the damage to property is less than $3,000.

What is a Collision?

Collision includes:

(a) a collision between 2 or more vehicles; or

(b) any other accident or incident involving a vehicle in which a person is killed or injured, property is damaged, or an animal in someone's charge is killed or injured.

VEHICLE includes:

(a) a motor vehicle, trailer and tram;

(b) a bicycle;

(c) an animal-drawn vehicle, and an animal that is being ridden or drawing a vehicle;

(d) a combination; and

(e) a motorised wheel-chair that can travel at over 10 kilometres per hour (on level ground); but does not include another kind of wheelchair, a train, or a wheeled recreational device or wheeled toy.

Government of SA SA Government Services